Expertise at Edinburgh
The University of Edinburgh is one of the world’s top research-intensive universities, ranked 4th in the UK for research power (Times Higher Education, Overall Ranking of Institutions), with 83% of our research activity classified as world leading or internationally excellent in the 2014 Research Excellence Framework.
Our researchers continuously challenge the boundaries of knowledge. We aim to deliver the highest attainable excellence in research and innovation to transform understanding of humanity, the world we live in and the universe around us.
Our researchers enable us to forge links with charities, businesses, policy makers and other universities, so that together we can tackle long-standing challenges at home and overseas.
Relevant research and technology areas include:
- AI and machine learning
- Analytics and modelling
- Applied and computational mathematics
- Cloud computing and infrastructure
- Databases, data quality, integration and exchange
- Data and ethics
- Data flows and real-time streaming
- Data security and privacy
- High performance computing
- Image processing
- Information visualisation
- Mathematical and computing aspects of optimisation
- Mobile and location-based applications
- Natural language processing
- Probability and stochastic analysis
- Search, semantic web and information retrieval
- Text mining and knowledge discovery